I don’t trust either of those points. As it happens, I author three blogs — a social weblog, a coaching weblog, and a journey weblog. I publish to them all the time, and I sense like it’s far an exceptional contribution to my intellectual presence.
The passé running a blog to which my long-in the past coworker referred to become the publish-MySpace, pre-Facebook, football-mom blog scene, which, dare I say, wasn’t lots of a scene inside the first area. Most of the individuals at some point of this era (circa 2007) had little to say, so their blogs weren’t very gratifying, and maximum of those people deserted their blogs the day they signed up for Facebook.
When I communicate about a weblog (which is short for “weblog,” which turned into at the beginning an internet magazine), I’m truly speakme approximately an area for self-expression that goes past everyday chat. And with that during thoughts, running a blog may not be for you.
Why do I like blogging better than social media?
• A blog can be a repository for your non-public history. Facebook has attempted to remedy this deficit over the years with functions like being able to keep a post, and with their campy “Deb and Lisa are celebrating six years of friendship on Facebook,” however after I see those, I scroll by means of, and if Facebook creates one for me, I delete it. I neither want nor need the sector’s biggest social media employer defining my friendships or what my existence is like.
• You can write a good deal longer memories with stronger narratives. A weblog can be home in your brief testimonies, films, poems, and novels. You can set blog posts to stay personal or be included behind a password. You can store blog posts for your “drafts” folder so that you can paintings on them for some time earlier than publishing them.
• You can set your own terms of carrier. With a blog, there’s no extra agreeing to egregious rights-grabs or unwelcome redesigns. The look and feel of your blog are primarily based on subject matters, so it may look plenty smarter, trimmer and extra inviting than, say, Snapchat. Additionally, you could customize your web site to look just right on a desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
• Blogs are searchable, that means in case you placed the phrase “carrot” into the search box, you could see all your entries containing the word “carrot.” You can’t do this with social media, and, because social media is prepared only chronologically, posts on social media vanish into the ether to vanish all the time.
• If you don’t like blogs due to the fact they don’t appear to generate the flurry of comments, likes and emojis of social media, blogging is truly not for you. Those are shallow rewards, and I’m speakme approximately creating something deeper than “The man in the pressure-thru became so rude nowadays.”
• This is probably the fine one: You manage the statement. How regularly have you popped off what you concept changed into a clever touch upon a social media website, most effective to have it demolished in a furious flurry of hate, scoring off your perceived idiocy? With a blog, you can flip off remarks, have feedback held on your approval or even clear out feedback by using keyword. You’re the boss of your weblog’s remark section.
I used WordPress to administer my blogs, and you could too, free of charge, at WordPress.Com. It’s rapid and smooth to analyze, and lets in you to assemble a web website that exceptional expresses you and your intellectual goals, instead of a social media web page that high-quality expresses how to “pressure visitors in the direction of marketing clicks.”
If you still experience the want to be in the social media fray, your blog posts may be part of social media: Anything you submit in your weblog may be instantly shared to Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest — anything.
For small and startup businesses, every cent really does count and making sure that you ta…